Search This Blog

Saturday, September 29, 2012

Chow Chow

Chow Chow recipe

This recipe comes out of Kerr Home Canning and Freezing Book last copywright listed is 1982 and first 1958. I LOVE old cook books - the older the better; back when they used REAL ingredients not a box of this and a mix of that.

CHOW CHOW

1 peck (12 1/2 pounds) green tomatoes
8 large onions
10 green bell peppers
3 Tablespoons salt

6 hot peppers (chopped)
1 quart vinegar
(Just an FYI HERE - the spices go in a cheese cloth bag)
1 Tablespoon cinnamon
1 Tablespoon allspice
1/4 teaspoon cloves
3 Tablespoons dry mustard
Few Bay Leaves
1 3/4 cup sugar

1/2 cup grated horseradish (optional)

CHOP Tomatoes, onions and bell peppers together and cover with salt: let stand overnight. ( I grind the vegetables using my food grinder that fits on the front of my Kitchen Aide mixer and I put it in the refrigerator overnight.)
  Drain, add the hot peppers (again I put them through the grinder) , vinegar, spices ( tied in cheese-cloth bag) and sugar; allow to boil slowly until tender (about 15 minutes). Add horseradish. Pack into sterilized jars to within 1/2-inch of top. Put on cap, screw band firmly tight. Process in Boiling water bath 5 minutes. (I did mine in a pressure caner for 5 minutes under 10 pounds pressure)


I'd definitely wear gloves when handling the hot peppers. This smells wonderful as it is processing!

I did remove ALL seeds from ALL peppers too.

No comments:

Post a Comment